LA CROSSE, Wis. - A La Crosse fifth grader is helping to give back to an organization that gave so much to her.
Lindsay Schmidt is this month's Student Making a Difference.
Lindsay is one of five kids in our area that was chosen to be a Children's Miracle Network hero. She was born 3 months premature and spent several months in the hospital benefiting from the services of CMN.
Now, Lindsay is paying it forward, taking part in a number of events throughout the year to raise money for other children dealing with special medical challenges.19081246
She volunteers at the Crescent Printing golf outing every year helping to sell tickets and raise money.
She also organized a popcorn and coupon book sale on her own to benefit CMN. "Because they helped me when I was younger and then I want to help them raise money for other kids," said Lindsay. "With her being born so early, I think she realizes how lucky she is to be here and I think she really feels like she wants to pay it forward and help other people," said Lindsay's mom Marcy Lund.
The program manager for CMN at Gundersen Lutheran says giving back just comes naturally for Lindsay. "What she has to say and what people can learn from her is amazing, she's always smiling and she's always willing to put the time into it, not like oh I want to get going, she just always knows why she's there and why it's important," said Heather Gilles.
On top of all Lindsay does for CMN hospitals, she's a on the student council at her school, helps in the art room, and tutors younger kids.
- Evers, Holtz win primary for state school superintendent
- Statewide personal care worker shortage creates uncertain future
- Local golfers take advantage of recent warm weather
- UW-La Crosse officials discuss possibility of tobacco-free campus
- Report: State trooper faces child porn charges
- Padesky, Dutton move on in city council primary
- Radtke, Schaumberg advance in Trempealeau Co. judge primary
- News 8 Highlight Zone - February 21, 2017
- Adaptive Sports League wraps up winter season with floor hockey tourney
- February Primaries bring voters out in La Crosse