LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The long and cold winter is starting to causing problems for the spring sports season.
The baseball and softball seasons at Viterbo University are already underway. However, because of weather, they've had to cancel or move 10 games this season.
The biggest problem is field conditions. There has been a thin layer of ice on the softball field and other areas are too wet.
The season only runs through the first week of May so the university is struggling to get in as many games as possible. "It's a matter of finding the right times and believe it or not, our students have to go to class as well so when they're balancing having to get to class, that is a challenge. So we've had a lot of games moved, but we'll get them in and we'll play and hopefully we'll have a good season here coming up," said Viterbo's Asst. Athletic Director Eric Kunick.
They are supposed to have home games this weekend, but they are being moved.
For now, the baseball and softball teams are practicing indoors.
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather