GENOA, WI (WKBT) - A freight train struck a pick-up truck Thursday night injuring one person. It happened on the railroad tracks along Hwy. 35 near Mundsack Road just south of the Genoa power plant.
The call came in about 10:40 Thursday night. The Vernon County Sheriff's Department says Danyel R. Smith, 33 of Stoddard, was heading south on Highway 35 when she lost control of the pick-up truck, went off the road, overturned, and came to rest on the railroad tracks. A train heading north hit the truck.
Smith was found in the pick-up truck and was taken by ambulance to Gundersen Health System in La Crosse with unknown injuries. She was wearing her seatbelt at the time of the crash. No one on the train was injured.
There were initial reports of as many as 3 other people in the pick-up truck, but the Vernon Co. Sheriff says no other people were located at the scene.
The sheriff's department says alcohol was a factor.22881362
- The Latest: Trump take executive action on oil pipelines
- Minnesota governor eyes fast return to work after collapse
- Plans on hold for proposed cell towers in La Crosse
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- Trial set for mom whose toddler was found wandering outside
- Wisconsin Democrats: County websites were hacked
- Bipartisan proposal would eliminate publishing minutes
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups
- Gov. Walker proposes welfare changes
- Man accused of trying to kill unborn child arrested in NY