GENOA, WI (WKBT) - A freight train struck a pick-up truck Thursday night injuring one person. It happened on the railroad tracks along Hwy. 35 near Mundsack Road just south of the Genoa power plant.
The call came in about 10:40 Thursday night. The Vernon County Sheriff's Department says Danyel R. Smith, 33 of Stoddard, was heading south on Highway 35 when she lost control of the pick-up truck, went off the road, overturned, and came to rest on the railroad tracks. A train heading north hit the truck.
Smith was found in the pick-up truck and was taken by ambulance to Gundersen Health System in La Crosse with unknown injuries. She was wearing her seatbelt at the time of the crash. No one on the train was injured.
There were initial reports of as many as 3 other people in the pick-up truck, but the Vernon Co. Sheriff says no other people were located at the scene.
The sheriff's department says alcohol was a factor.22881362
- Wisconsin plan seeks to cut achievement gap in half
- APNewsBreak: Syrian who sued Trump brings family to US
- Congress OKs bill averting Saturday gov't shutdown
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Young students urge high schoolers to be safe during prom
- Police: Man pepper-sprayed autistic man eating free cookies
- GOP gets in lockstep in looming budget fight with Dayton
- Appeal rejected in death of 2 motorcyclists
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested
- Company says it has no plans for a new Wisconsin pipeline