LA CROSSE, Wis. - High water on the Mississippi River is forcing cancellations for a popular tourist attraction.
The American Queen and Queen of the Mississippi steamboats are cancelling their scheduled stops in La Crosse for later this month.
Because of the high water, the huge steamboats can't make it under the blue bridges.
Even at regular water levels, the American Queen has to lower its stacks to clear the bridge.
The boats are an annual summer favorite for not only people in La Crosse, but all over the Midwest.
"I've talked to people from Illinois and the upper peninsula of Michigan, Indiana who come here to see the big boats cause they don't get a chance to experience that and for them there is an iconic-ness to it and so they enjoy that opportunity to see them," said the Exec. Dir. of the La Crosse Area Convention and Visitor's Bureau Dave Clements.20933924
With 14 visits scheduled in August, September and October, you still have a lot of opportunities to see the American Queen.
For a list of planned stops in La Crosse, you can visit www.explorelacrosse.com.
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- Annual Iverson Freking Awards handed out at luncheon
- Assembly speaker says his job is harder than governor's
- Alternative transportation forum looks to the future
- Highway 53 steering committee considering options for corridor development
- Toyota donates nearly $15,000 to La Crosse YWCA
- Buzz's Bikes building still looking for new owners