LA CROSSE, Wis. - High water on the Mississippi River is forcing cancellations for a popular tourist attraction.
The American Queen and Queen of the Mississippi steamboats are cancelling their scheduled stops in La Crosse for later this month.
Because of the high water, the huge steamboats can't make it under the blue bridges.
Even at regular water levels, the American Queen has to lower its stacks to clear the bridge.
The boats are an annual summer favorite for not only people in La Crosse, but all over the Midwest.
"I've talked to people from Illinois and the upper peninsula of Michigan, Indiana who come here to see the big boats cause they don't get a chance to experience that and for them there is an iconic-ness to it and so they enjoy that opportunity to see them," said the Exec. Dir. of the La Crosse Area Convention and Visitor's Bureau Dave Clements.20933924
With 14 visits scheduled in August, September and October, you still have a lot of opportunities to see the American Queen.
For a list of planned stops in La Crosse, you can visit www.explorelacrosse.com.
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Dayton names new Minnesota State Lottery director
- Walker hopes Trump's tough talk catches Canada's attention
- Walker: Not my job to remove Sheriff Clarke after jail death
- Minnesota woman gets probation for supporting al-Shabab