MADISON, Wis. (AP) - Military-themed plates benefiting the state's Veterans Trust Fund are the most popular among the 13 types of state special plates.
According to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, as of July, more than 20,000 plates benefiting veterans were registered in Wisconsin. That total covers 51 versions promoting various military service or medal designations.
The Wisconsin State Journal reports the least popular were the "Lions Foundation" plates, which were purchased by 248 vehicle owners in the last fiscal year to benefit the Wisconsin Lions Foundation.
The issue of which groups get special license plates arose earlier this month during a legislative proposal to add an anti-abortion "Choose Life" plate to the lineup.
- Copyright 2016 by WKBT News8000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- On Your Side - Guide to Buying Glasses Online
- VIDEO: Area couples prepare for wedding season
- VIDEO: De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- VIDEO: Local event helps connect military families
- VIDEO: Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Local event helps connect military families
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Minnesota GOP charts new course in response to protests