SPARTA, Wis. (WKBT) - Sparta police said a 23-year-old man blamed vodka for his behavior, which included scratching and biting an officer.
Sparta police were called to a residence on L Street for a report of an unconscious man on someone's porch at 4:45 a.m. on May 29.
Officers found Jacob A. Baumbach passed out on the porch and they were unable to wake him. Officers requested EMS and tried to load him onto a cot. Sparta police said at that point, Baumbach woke up and became combative and attempted to kick a Monroe County Sheriff's deputy who stopped by to help. Baumbach also scratched and bit a Sparta police officer.
Sparta police said when Baumbach eventually calmed down, he blamed his behavior on vodka and told police a friend made him do shots of vodka even though he didn't want to.
Police arrested Baumbach for battery to a law enforcement officer, resisting arrest, and bail jumping, as he was out on bond from another pending court case.
- Area National Guard members home after helping with Hurricane Irma cleanup
- E. coli cases raising concerns in La Crosse area
- Ceremony remembers those lost to suicide
- Warm, dry weather leads to early start to fall color season
- Voting Rights Rally in La Crosse to raise awareness on gerrymandering, voter suppression
- New northside McDonald's brings high-tech upgrades
- Back to work for UW-La Crosse football
- News 8 Sports Round Up-September 19, 2017
- Refuge closes Round Lake parking area for a day
- The Latest: Hintz elected leader of Assembly Democrats