SPARTA, WI - Sparta police arrested a 25-year-old man for Operating a Motor Vehicle While Intoxicated-3rd offense on early Wednesday morning on the 700 block of Jefferson Avenue.
Alex Johnson, of Sparta, told police he swerved to miss a dog and struck a parked car, according to the police report. The amount and type of damage to the vehicles was inconsistent with his description of events, police said.
The tests showed Johnson was impaired. He later admitted to officers that he made up the story about the dog and was actually distracted by his phone when he hit the car.
Johnson was also cited for unreasonable and imprudent speed.
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Local hospital expands suicide screening
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion has been found!
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Gundersen warns against travelling to Zika-impacted areas
- Todd English named Firefighter of the Year for 2016