SPARTA, WI - Sparta police arrested a 25-year-old man for Operating a Motor Vehicle While Intoxicated-3rd offense on early Wednesday morning on the 700 block of Jefferson Avenue.
Alex Johnson, of Sparta, told police he swerved to miss a dog and struck a parked car, according to the police report. The amount and type of damage to the vehicles was inconsistent with his description of events, police said.
The tests showed Johnson was impaired. He later admitted to officers that he made up the story about the dog and was actually distracted by his phone when he hit the car.
Johnson was also cited for unreasonable and imprudent speed.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 29, 2017
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks