ONALASKA, Wis. - Students walking home from school Monday alerted authorities to a small grass fire.
Onalaska firefighters responded just after 3:00 p.m. Monday to a grassy area on Carefree drive. That's between highways 35 and 53, just north of the Onalaska Y.
It took about 20 minutes to put out the fire.19949410
Firefighters say despite the recent rainfall, conditions are almost ideal for a big grass fire. "Luckily, it wasn't too windy, we have a lot of fire starter out here today with dry leaves and dry grass that we could have had a good fire going today," said Onalaska Fire Lt. Corey Yonkovich.
Yonkovich also said if conditions continue like this, our area could see a number of burn bans.
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Area couple awaits man's heart, liver transplant
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Bond reduced in university student death case
- Iowa man who broke baby daughter's bones gets probation
- Dispatchers receive call about possible homicide
- Police: Man pepper-sprayed autistic man eating free cookies
- Holmen continues expansion with office building groundbreaking