ONALASKA, Wis. - Students walking home from school Monday alerted authorities to a small grass fire.
Onalaska firefighters responded just after 3:00 p.m. Monday to a grassy area on Carefree drive. That's between highways 35 and 53, just north of the Onalaska Y.
It took about 20 minutes to put out the fire.19949410
Firefighters say despite the recent rainfall, conditions are almost ideal for a big grass fire. "Luckily, it wasn't too windy, we have a lot of fire starter out here today with dry leaves and dry grass that we could have had a good fire going today," said Onalaska Fire Lt. Corey Yonkovich.
Yonkovich also said if conditions continue like this, our area could see a number of burn bans.
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest