MADISON, Wis. (AP) - Several news staffers at the Madison-based radio station WTDY have been laid off, including talk-show host John "Sly" Sylvester.
A company memo says the layoffs included all but one member of the news, traffic and on-air staff at 1670 WTDY-AM and 106.7 WTDY-FM.
The WTDY website has been replaced by a holiday message, and the station began airing Christmas music Wednesday.
Station operations manager Randy Hawke says officials will announce the new format after the holidays.
Sylvester tells WISC-TV he was surprised to hear he and six or seven others were being let go. He says his show had good ratings and strong sponsorship.
News director Amy Barrilleaux was also laid off. She says she's sad to see the format go but she understands the reality of the situation.
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse celebrates Arbor Day with a tree planting
- News 8 Sports Round Up-April 28, 2017
- Community leaders observe Workers Memorial Day
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Kenosha teen stabbed at school dies
- APNewsBreak: Syrian who sued Trump brings family to US