MADISON, Wis. (AP) - Several news staffers at the Madison-based radio station WTDY have been laid off, including talk-show host John "Sly" Sylvester.
A company memo says the layoffs included all but one member of the news, traffic and on-air staff at 1670 WTDY-AM and 106.7 WTDY-FM.
The WTDY website has been replaced by a holiday message, and the station began airing Christmas music Wednesday.
Station operations manager Randy Hawke says officials will announce the new format after the holidays.
Sylvester tells WISC-TV he was surprised to hear he and six or seven others were being let go. He says his show had good ratings and strong sponsorship.
News director Amy Barrilleaux was also laid off. She says she's sad to see the format go but she understands the reality of the situation.
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Democrats propose legalizing medical marijuana
- Baldwin, Kind both attending inauguration while Pocan skips
- New faces breathe new life into debate on Sunday booze ban
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Evers has $117,000 in bank for superintendent run
- Court upholds order for fingerprint to unlock cellphone