SHAWANO, Wis. (AP) -- A 20-year-old Shawano County man is now charged with killing his father.
Joshua Johnson faces one count of first-degree intentional homicide in the death of 53-year-old Donald Johnson of Wittenberg.
Johnson made his initial court appearance Thursday. According to the complaint, Johnson allegedly shot, beat and stabbed his father. He also allegedly tried to break his neck.
The complaint says Joshua Johnson called 911 on Tuesday morning to report he had killed his father.
Johnson's attorney says there was a history of a strained relationship between the defendant and his father.
Johnson is scheduled to return to court next Tuesday for a preliminary hearing. WLUK-TV reports Johnson is expected to plead not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect.
He is being held on a $500,000 cash bond.
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 22, 2017
- Between the Bluffs Beer, Wine and Cheese Festival draws thousands
- Community garden sees rush of Earth Day volunteers