SHAWANO, Wis. (AP) -- A 20-year-old Shawano County man is now charged with killing his father.
Joshua Johnson faces one count of first-degree intentional homicide in the death of 53-year-old Donald Johnson of Wittenberg.
Johnson made his initial court appearance Thursday. According to the complaint, Johnson allegedly shot, beat and stabbed his father. He also allegedly tried to break his neck.
The complaint says Joshua Johnson called 911 on Tuesday morning to report he had killed his father.
Johnson's attorney says there was a history of a strained relationship between the defendant and his father.
Johnson is scheduled to return to court next Tuesday for a preliminary hearing. WLUK-TV reports Johnson is expected to plead not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect.
He is being held on a $500,000 cash bond.
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- Injured Packers Nelson, Adams could be game-time decisions
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death
- Stolen passwords used to change some grades, university says