MADISON, WI (AP) - The state has agreed to pay Department of Veterans Affairs Secretary John Scocos $325,000 to settle a lawsuit he filed after he was fired from his job in 2009.
The settlement was signed last month and first reported on Tuesday by the Wisconsin State Journal.
Scocos was dismissed by the Board of Veterans Affairs in 2009, shortly after he returned from military service in Iraq.
Board members said Scocos was let go because of problems at the agency he had led since 2003. Scocos sued, alleging a violation of his right to return to his job following a military deployment.
Gov. Scott Walker gave him his old job back in 2011, shortly after the governor signed a law taking the power to appoint the secretary away from the board.
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Democrats propose legalizing medical marijuana
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Sonar scans help divers target Lake Erie plane crash search
- Baldwin, Kind both attending inauguration while Pocan skips
- UnitedHealth tops Street 4Q forecasts
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers
- Xcel sets new record for hydroelectric production
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families