LA CROSSE, Wis. -- One of two men charged in the shooting death of a La Crosse woman pleads guilty to reduced charges.
Pao Choua Vue was scheduled to stand trial August 20 for the death of 20-year-old Sara Hougom March 26 at her apartment on Division Street.
At a hearing Wednesday morning in La Crosse County Court, Vue pleaded guilty to first-degree reckless homicide. He faces a maximum of 40 years in prison at sentencing in October.
Pao Choua Vue and Kong Vue were both charged with first-degree intentional homicide and with attempted first-degree intentional homicide in a drive-by shooting on Island Street just minutes before the Division Street shooting.
Kong Vue told investigators he went into Hougom's apartment to steal money and shot in Hougom's direction before running away. Hougom died a short time later at Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse.
Three other felony charges against Pao Choua Vue, including the attempted first-degree intentional homicide charge and a burglary charge, were dismissed, but will be considered at sentencing.16145534
Kong Vue is scheduled for a hearing August 30, but may also enter a plea before that hearing.
- Wisconsin plan seeks to cut achievement gap in half
- Congress OKs bill averting Saturday gov't shutdown
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Police: Man pepper-sprayed autistic man eating free cookies
- Area couple awaits man's heart, liver transplant
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Company says it has no plans for a new Wisconsin pipeline
- Fatal shooting investigated in Bloomington