LA CROSSE, WI - The Salvation Army is halfway to building it's mountain of food.
The organization teamed up with some Western Technical College students to collect 10,000 pounds of food and build a mountain with it in Valley View Mall.
Thanks to donations and special collections by Texas Roadhouse and Weight Watchers, 5,000 lbs. is on display.
They're hoping the mountain helps with awareness of the continuing need in the community. "So that it would be in the public eye and that we could really spread the word, and because of our bluffs in the area we decided it would be a mountain, and it would be a statement piece for everybody in our area," said Western Tech student Alacia Greenwold.
There are little red buckets for donations at the mall. The collection ends Sunday at 6:00 p.m.22382204
- Repealing Obamacare: Trump says fast, Congress says slow
- Monday closings due to weather
- Tomah police asking for help following morning high-speed chase
- US Rep. Pocan says he won't attend Trump inauguration
- Local activists hold "Save Our Healthcare" rally
- Local bar burglarized
- More than a dozen cell towers may go up in La Crosse
- Potential suicide spike in La Crosse County
- UPDATE: Suspect charged in Trempealeau County fatal crash
- Area youth group helps prepare for fundraiser