LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Keeping our roads safe during the winter months comes at an expense.
The city of La Crosse has gone through about half of its salt supply this winter.
There's about 1,000 tons still available, plus officials already paid for another 1,500 tons to be delivered some time this season.
However, the city has avoided digging too deep into its approximately $55,000 overtime budget. "Through last week or so, we've used in the vicinity of $4-5,000 of that overtime budget, so we're pretty prudent on when we're doing work," said Public Works Director Dale Hexom.
He says the city finished 2013 about $8,000 under the overtime budget.24188632
- Wisconsin man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- GOP bill would discipline hecklers at UW speeches
- Wisconsin DOJ, feds, police set up Drug Take Back Day
- Wisconsin judge hears challenge to homemade bakery ban
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- West Salem Middle School raises awareness for importance of physical activity