SEATTLE - Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson and his wife, Ashton have filed for divorce.
The couple married in January of 2012, but in a statement released by the Seahawks Wednesday afternoon, Wilson says "I have made the difficult decision to file for divorce".
"Clearly, decisions like these don't come easy. Ashton and I respectfully ask for prayers, understanding and privacy during this difficult time. Moving forward, I will have no further comment on this personal matter."
They were married in Richmond, Virginia in January of 2012 just a few months before Wilson was drafted in the third round by Seattle.
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Chili cook-off warms up community while raising money
- Area protester goes to joins Women's March on Washington D. C.