TOWN OF PLYMOUTH, Wis. (AP) - Rock County sheriff's officials say a woman found dead in a barn in the Town of Plymouth had apparently been shot by a neighbor, who also shot himself.
The male neighbor is hospitalized in critical condition in Madison and is being guarded by sheriff's deputies.
SWAT officers were among law enforcement personnel who responded to the rural property about 8:30 a.m. Wednesday. They found 59-year-old Christine Gestrich dead in a barn and the suspect with a self-inflicted gunshot wound in another outbuilding on the property. He was treated on the scene by a SWAT doctor and was taken by helicopter to UW Hospital.
Sheriff Robert Spoden says it's not yet clear what motivated the shooting. An autopsy is scheduled for Thursday.
- Wisconsin plan seeks to cut achievement gap in half
- Congress OKs bill averting Saturday gov't shutdown
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Police: Man pepper-sprayed autistic man eating free cookies
- Area couple awaits man's heart, liver transplant
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Company says it has no plans for a new Wisconsin pipeline
- Fatal shooting investigated in Bloomington