LA CROSSE, Wis. - As U.S. Supreme Court Justices consider the constitutionality of two laws regarding same-sex marriage, another lawmaker is now publicly saying he supports gay marriage rights.
Representative Ron Kind, a democrat from La Crosse, says he looks forward to supporting legislation like the 'Respect for Marriage Act' that would give same-sex couples the same rights as heterosexual couples.
Representative Kind made this announcement Thursday on his facebook page:
"My 18-year marriage to Tawni has taught me that we're both stronger because we love and support each other. I support marriage equality because if two people want to make a lifetime commitment to love and care for one another, then the government shouldn't stand in the way.
As the Supreme Court deliberates the constitutionality of the Defense of Marriage Act and Proposition 8, I'm reminded that throughout history, discrimination has never worked. I have never voted for discrimination, and I look forward to supporting legislation like the Respect for Marriage Act that will help committed same-sex couples gain the same rights as everyone else."
- Trump, Walker discuss Wisconsin dairy dispute
- Wisconsin at high risk of wildfires after sunny, dry weather
- Wisconsin Legislature set to give wells bill final OK
- Prosecutor: No water for week led to jail dehydration death
- Student stabbed at Kenosha high school
- Bridge project in southeast Minnesota on schedule, budget
- House Republicans pass abortion bills
- Minnesota couple accused of sexually assaulting teenage girl
- Report: Saints, running back Peterson agree on contract
- Federal officials charge 15 with eagle trafficking