LA CROSSE, Wis. - As U.S. Supreme Court Justices consider the constitutionality of two laws regarding same-sex marriage, another lawmaker is now publicly saying he supports gay marriage rights.
Representative Ron Kind, a democrat from La Crosse, says he looks forward to supporting legislation like the 'Respect for Marriage Act' that would give same-sex couples the same rights as heterosexual couples.
Representative Kind made this announcement Thursday on his facebook page:
"My 18-year marriage to Tawni has taught me that we're both stronger because we love and support each other. I support marriage equality because if two people want to make a lifetime commitment to love and care for one another, then the government shouldn't stand in the way.
As the Supreme Court deliberates the constitutionality of the Defense of Marriage Act and Proposition 8, I'm reminded that throughout history, discrimination has never worked. I have never voted for discrimination, and I look forward to supporting legislation like the Respect for Marriage Act that will help committed same-sex couples gain the same rights as everyone else."
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Handful of rat virus cases seen in Wisconsin and Illinois
- Pocan compliments Trump before skipping inauguration
- Nebraska, Iowa Guard troops assigned inauguration duties
- E. Iowa man charged in death of woman killed by cannon
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion has been found!
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge