LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - State Representative Jill Billings from La Crosse is hoping to draw attention to the issues facing the UW System with a meeting of the minds at UW-La Crosse Tuesday.
Rep. Billings held a higher education symposium which included representatives from UWL, former Board of Regents President Brent Smith, and UW System President Ray Cross.
Community members were encouraged to attend the symposium and Cross says events like this are important for the System to better communicate how universities affect their communities.
"I think part of the challenge for the university is to understand how to better interact with the public, especially given this election and the challenges we face as a state and the polarization in our society. The university and in fact the embodiment of the Wisconsin Idea depends on our ability to interact with the public and how might we better serve the public," said Cross.
Cross also says events like Tuesday's help the UW System stress the importance of having local universities for people who may live in rural areas.
- You participated in the Women's March. Now what?
- Local event helps connect military families
- Dayton's State of the State will set stage for 2017 session
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- La Crosse County proposing tourism tax
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Trump to meet congressional leaders Monday at the White House
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos
- Man died after kayak capsized, Des Moines authorities say