WEST SALEM, Wis. - The best speller in our area has been crowned.
"Endemic" is the word that gave Kaleb Krzyszton from Cochrane-Fountain City School the trophy at the annual regional spelling bee.
He beat out 36 other spellers from 20 schools Tuesday morning.
The coordinator says spelling bees like this show that even in a world with spell check at our finger tips, spelling is an important skill for students to learn. "It's a different world and spelling and learning how to spell correctly is almost a lost art, but it's a very important skill for students and young people to have and you can see it today with all of our spellers," said Laci Ketelhut.
The top five spellers move on to compete at the state level next month.
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Chili cook-off warms up community while raising money
- Area protester goes to joins Women's March on Washington D. C.