WEST SALEM, Wis. - The best speller in our area has been crowned.
"Endemic" is the word that gave Kaleb Krzyszton from Cochrane-Fountain City School the trophy at the annual regional spelling bee.
He beat out 36 other spellers from 20 schools Tuesday morning.
The coordinator says spelling bees like this show that even in a world with spell check at our finger tips, spelling is an important skill for students to learn. "It's a different world and spelling and learning how to spell correctly is almost a lost art, but it's a very important skill for students and young people to have and you can see it today with all of our spellers," said Laci Ketelhut.
The top five spellers move on to compete at the state level next month.
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather