SHAWANO, Wis. (AP) - The Stockbridge-Munsee Band of Mohican Indians has set a recall vote for the tribal president who's facing some misdemeanor charges.
The tribe's recall election board has validated nearly 200 signatures petitioning for the removal of Robert Chicks. The board set a vote for April 27 at the Stockbridge-Munsee tribal office. The recall effort began last month after the tribal council decided not to take action against Chicks for alleged conduct violating tribal law.
The Shawano Leader reports Chicks is charged with several misdemeanors connected to a traffic stop. He's accused of giving an officer a false name, of using a tribal credit card to post bond and missing a court appearance. Chicks says he is not guilty of the charges.
- UPDATE: Two additional suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Monday closings due to weather
- Repealing Obamacare: Trump says fast, Congress says slow
- Missing elderly man found dead in Grant County
- State leaders push for more progress at MLK Day celebration
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families
- La Crosse Public Education Foundation honors grant recipients
- 1 dead, 4 others injured by apparent carbon monoxide
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion