SHAWANO, Wis. (AP) - The Stockbridge-Munsee Band of Mohican Indians has set a recall vote for the tribal president who's facing some misdemeanor charges.
The tribe's recall election board has validated nearly 200 signatures petitioning for the removal of Robert Chicks. The board set a vote for April 27 at the Stockbridge-Munsee tribal office. The recall effort began last month after the tribal council decided not to take action against Chicks for alleged conduct violating tribal law.
The Shawano Leader reports Chicks is charged with several misdemeanors connected to a traffic stop. He's accused of giving an officer a false name, of using a tribal credit card to post bond and missing a court appearance. Chicks says he is not guilty of the charges.
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Mom who made kids sleep in feces-covered room gets probation
- Democrats announce new gun safety coalition
- Bill would eliminate last of Wisconsin's prevailing wage
- First Battalion aviation unit deploys to Middle East
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance