READSTOWN, Wis. - The Readstown fire chief is charged with theft and misconduct in office.
According to the criminal complaint, Chief Phillip Townsend used the fire department's charge account to buy gas for his personal vehicle. He racked up more than $500 in fuel charges in about 25 days.
The complaint says he admitted to investigators to misusing the funds.
Townsend told them he recently lost his job and was having trouble paying for travel back and forth to La Crosse for medical appointments.19780312
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest