READSTOWN, Wis. - The Readstown fire chief is charged with theft and misconduct in office.
According to the criminal complaint, Chief Phillip Townsend used the fire department's charge account to buy gas for his personal vehicle. He racked up more than $500 in fuel charges in about 25 days.
The complaint says he admitted to investigators to misusing the funds.
Townsend told them he recently lost his job and was having trouble paying for travel back and forth to La Crosse for medical appointments.19780312
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather