LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A handful of protesters have been displaying signs outside of Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse this week.
The group says the hospital brings in a doctor from Rochester to care for pregnant women who offers to provide abortions.
As a Catholic hospital, Mayo Clinic in La Crosse says it will not perform abortions at any Franciscan Skemp Healthcare facility.
Regardless, the protesters believe it's important to make the community aware of this specialist. "Unbeknownst to us, he's an abortionist and he was supposed to provide care for my wife, but he was very negligent and very callous towards the life of the baby in the womb," said protester Leif Arvidson.
Mayo Clinic Health System released a statement that says, in part, "We can assure our employees, our patients and the community that abortions are not being performed at our facilities and never have been. Providers who practice on our campus follow our policies related to the care of pregnant women and their children."
Mayo could not comment on the specialist's practices outside of the La Crosse area.
- Heavy rain causes huge sink hole in La Crosse
- Innaugural Catgut Paddle brings races, food, music
- Arcadia flooding leaves behind mess, displaces residents
- Area businesses prepare for more flooding
- Minneapolis Police Chief resigns after fatal shooting
- Catholic Charities offers assistance with Disaster Recovery
- FLW comes to Mississippi River
- Third annual Bountiful Gardens Tour takes place in La Crosse
- La Crosse hosts 27th annual rail fair
- La Crosse hosts third annual NAFA softball tournament