LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A handful of protesters have been displaying signs outside of Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse this week.
The group says the hospital brings in a doctor from Rochester to care for pregnant women who offers to provide abortions.
As a Catholic hospital, Mayo Clinic in La Crosse says it will not perform abortions at any Franciscan Skemp Healthcare facility.
Regardless, the protesters believe it's important to make the community aware of this specialist. "Unbeknownst to us, he's an abortionist and he was supposed to provide care for my wife, but he was very negligent and very callous towards the life of the baby in the womb," said protester Leif Arvidson.
Mayo Clinic Health System released a statement that says, in part, "We can assure our employees, our patients and the community that abortions are not being performed at our facilities and never have been. Providers who practice on our campus follow our policies related to the care of pregnant women and their children."
Mayo could not comment on the specialist's practices outside of the La Crosse area.
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Local students compete in dairy cook off
- Cub scouts donate bird nest boxes to La Crosse marsh
- La Crosse Police policies to be assessed in accreditation process
- Excessive use of technology among youth raising concerns