LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Protesters continue to picket outside of Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse.
The group has been protesting for several weeks now. They say the hospital brings in a doctor from Rochester to care for pregnant women who offers to provide abortions.
As a Catholic hospital, Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse says it does not perform abortions at any Franciscan Healthcare facility.
Regardless, the protesters believe it's important to make the community aware of this specialist. "We feel it's very important that pregnant women who are coming into see this doctor can know they are being seen by an abortionist," said Karen Arvidson.
Mayo Clinic Health System released the following statement:
"We are aware that there are protesters on our La Crosse Campus. We are not able to disclose any details about the confidential patient care matter that gave rise to this situation. After a comprehensive review process, including a review of the Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Healthcare, we are confident that the situation is being handled appropriately from all aspects – morally, medically, and legally.
We can assure our employees, our patients and the community that abortions are not being performed at our facilities and never have been. Providers who practice on our campus follow our policies related to the care of pregnant women and their children.
We support the right of U.S. citizens to conduct peaceful protests."
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- Injured Packers Nelson, Adams could be game-time decisions
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death