LA CROSSE, Wis. - The national flu outbreak is spreading.
At least 44 states are now dealing with outbreaks of the illness.
To protect people in our area from the flu, health experts at Gundersen Lutheran say if you aren't feeling well, don't visit.
That's to keep from making patients' recovery times more difficult, and also from getting staff sick.
"It's best if you have an acute onset of an illness, whether it's gastrointestinal illness, or an upper respiratory or viral illness in those early stages, to not put the vulnerable people who are in the hospital of getting that infection," says Bridget Pfaff with Infection Control at Gundersen Lutheran.
Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse says it has no visitor restrictions right now but also recommends staying home if you aren't feeling well.
Masks are available for patients with flu-like symptoms.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- Ninth annual Earth Fair attracts local families
- Coulee Council on Addictions announces plans for new building
- La Crosse brush pick-up starts this week
- Course teaches Somali culture in central Minnesota