LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Dragon Boats were out on the river Sunday.
Racers were practicing for the upcoming Big Blue Dragon Boat race. The event, put on by Mayo Clinic Health System, raises awareness and money for breast cancer research.
There are 52 teams this year with more than 1,100. They will compete in time trials, then race head-to-head on the river.
Organizers say this is a fun way to support breast cancer research, and they've receive great feedback from racers. "This is one of the most empowering activities I've ever done, I can't wait to do this again, I can't wait for race day, I'll be back, over and over is what they keep telling us," said race co-chair Lori Freit-Hammes.
The Big Blue Dragon Boat race is Saturday, July 5th on the Mississippi river along Riverside Park.
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers
- Xcel sets new record for hydroelectric production
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families
- La Crosse Public Education Foundation honors grant recipients
- 1 dead, 4 others injured by apparent carbon monoxide
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- Missing elderly man found dead in Grant County
- State leaders push for more progress at MLK Day celebration