LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The La Crosse Police Department will step up enforcement this weekend to keep pedestrians safe.
It's part of a grant the police got from the department of transportation. The department hopes to cut down on the number of traffic related injuries and deaths. Officers were out today and will continue to step up enforcement throughout the weekend.
Bike and pedestrian safety is just one of the areas the department is focusing on.
"We are also going to have the high visibility OWI or operating while intoxicated enforcement actions going on. That means officers will be specifically targeting those who are drinking and driving and who are in intoxicated," said Sgt. Randy Rank of the La Crosse Police Department.
The Officers will be at the intersection of Rose and Logan Streets from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. through Saturday.
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Chili cook-off warms up community while raising money
- Area protester goes to joins Women's March on Washington D. C.