LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The La Crosse Police Department will step up enforcement this weekend to keep pedestrians safe.
It's part of a grant the police got from the department of transportation. The department hopes to cut down on the number of traffic related injuries and deaths. Officers were out today and will continue to step up enforcement throughout the weekend.
Bike and pedestrian safety is just one of the areas the department is focusing on.
"We are also going to have the high visibility OWI or operating while intoxicated enforcement actions going on. That means officers will be specifically targeting those who are drinking and driving and who are in intoxicated," said Sgt. Randy Rank of the La Crosse Police Department.
The Officers will be at the intersection of Rose and Logan Streets from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. through Saturday.
- Deputy: 1 ejected, several injured in school bus vs. dump truck crash
- Prison launches service dog training program
- Heart disease survivor pushes forward
- Flooding affecting Memorial Day camping in La Crosse
- Father-son team arrested in Chicago-to-La Crosse drug trade, police say
- La Crosse Valley View Mall for sale by property owner
- Emergency responders take part in mass casualty drill at La Crosse airport
- Gehl Foods distributed nacho cheese linked to fatal botulism
- "Share the Love" donation to Family & Children's Center
- Bennett getting acclimated quickly to Packers