LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The La Crosse Police Department will step up enforcement this weekend to keep pedestrians safe.
It's part of a grant the police got from the department of transportation. The department hopes to cut down on the number of traffic related injuries and deaths. Officers were out today and will continue to step up enforcement throughout the weekend.
Bike and pedestrian safety is just one of the areas the department is focusing on.
"We are also going to have the high visibility OWI or operating while intoxicated enforcement actions going on. That means officers will be specifically targeting those who are drinking and driving and who are in intoxicated," said Sgt. Randy Rank of the La Crosse Police Department.
The Officers will be at the intersection of Rose and Logan Streets from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. through Saturday.
- Wisconsin Revenue Department touts anti-fraud efforts
- Candidates for Wisconsin superintendent face off at forum
- Lawmakers push for hemp comeback in Wisconsin
- Senate to vote on ending ban on Sunday liquor sales
- Madison police recommend charges in fatal Highway 30 crash
- VITA program helping people file their taxes
- Flight attendant charged in fake bomb threat signs plea deal
- Whitewater High School evacuated because of suspicious package
- Area prospective home buyers learning basics
- Officers fired upon in Milwaukee