LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The La Crosse Police Department will step up enforcement this weekend to keep pedestrians safe.
It's part of a grant the police got from the department of transportation. The department hopes to cut down on the number of traffic related injuries and deaths. Officers were out today and will continue to step up enforcement throughout the weekend.
Bike and pedestrian safety is just one of the areas the department is focusing on.
"We are also going to have the high visibility OWI or operating while intoxicated enforcement actions going on. That means officers will be specifically targeting those who are drinking and driving and who are in intoxicated," said Sgt. Randy Rank of the La Crosse Police Department.
The Officers will be at the intersection of Rose and Logan Streets from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. through Saturday.
- Turnout hits 8 percent in Wisconsin superintendent race
- Evers, Holtz win primary for state school superintendent
- Statewide personal care worker shortage creates uncertain future
- Local golfers take advantage of recent warm weather
- Biometric screening speeds check-in at Twin Cities airport
- U of Minnesota law professor charged with sex assault
- UW-La Crosse officials discuss possibility of tobacco-free campus
- Report: State trooper faces child porn charges
- Padesky, Dutton move on in city council primary
- Radtke, Schaumberg advance in Trempealeau Co. judge primary