MADISON, Wis. (AP) - Madison police say a missing Kaukauna man may have fallen into open water on Lake Monona.
Twenty-six-year-old Charles Geurts has been missing in Madison for a week. He was in town to attend a conference for work and was last seen leaving a hotel Jan. 16.
South District Capt. Joe Balles tells the Wisconsin State Journal a police dog found Geurts' scent where a man believed to be Geurts knocked on the patio door of a home about a half-hour after leaving the hotel.
Balles says the Dane County sheriff's office searched the lake but didn't find any evidence Geurts had fallen through the ice or entered open water.
Police suspended their search Saturday night after nearly 50 family members and friends of Geurts spent the day distributing fliers.
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Urban Beekeeping
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse