MADISON, Wis. (AP) - Madison police say a man with a history of mental illness planned to kill two people with an assault rifle he bought online.
The 20-year-old man was arrested Thursday. He's being held in the Dane County Jail.
Police spokesman Joel DeSpain says the intended victims were a 54-year-old woman and a 21-year-old man. DeSpain says the man was acquainted with both. He says an AK-47 assault rifle and ammunition were found in the man's Madison home.
The man's mother tells the State Journal her son had recently been hospitalized in the psychiatric unit at University Hospital.
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Chili cook-off warms up community while raising money
- Area protester goes to joins Women's March on Washington D. C.