DETROIT (AP) - Plans are moving forward to create a hiking and biking trail from Belle Isle park in Detroit to Ironwood on the Wisconsin boundary in the western Upper Peninsula.
The Detroit Free Press reports Michigan Department of Natural Resources officials plan to meet with trail organizations and community planners next month about details.
And on April 26, 45-year-old Chris Hillier of Taylor plans to start months-long journey from Belle Isle along the proposed route.
Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder made the proposal for the trail in November, saying he wanted Michigan to become the Trail State. The governor directed the Michigan DNR to work with private and nonprofit partners to make the full trail route a reality.
The project would require more than 200 miles of new trails.
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged Dec. 22 shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death
- Stolen passwords used to change some grades, university says
- Search resumes for girl missing in western Iowa river