LA CROSSE, Wis. - The artesian well in Pettibone Park will be closed until further notice due to high bacterial levels in the water, by order of the La Crosse County Health Department.
The health department says the high bacterial levels in the water pose a serious health hazard.
City of La Crosse Superintendent of Parks Gar Amunson said the Department of Natural Resources tested the well and found the high levels of bacteria. Next week, the DNR is going to take the rock cap off, clean and sterilize the area and test it again, Amunson said.
The well should be up and running by the end of next week. Until then, the City of la Crosse Parks and Recreation Department says you should boil or use commercially bottled water for drinking, food preparation and making ice. If you boil water, it should be heated to a rolling boil for at least five minutes before use.
The department says as a precautionary measure ice, food and any beverages prepared with unsafe water should be discarded.20750074
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Mom who made kids sleep in feces-covered room gets probation
- Democrats announce new gun safety coalition
- Bill would eliminate last of Wisconsin's prevailing wage
- First Battalion aviation unit deploys to Middle East
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance