LA CROSSE, Wis. - The artesian well in Pettibone Park will be closed until further notice due to high bacterial levels in the water, by order of the La Crosse County Health Department.
The health department says the high bacterial levels in the water pose a serious health hazard.
City of La Crosse Superintendent of Parks Gar Amunson said the Department of Natural Resources tested the well and found the high levels of bacteria. Next week, the DNR is going to take the rock cap off, clean and sterilize the area and test it again, Amunson said.
The well should be up and running by the end of next week. Until then, the City of la Crosse Parks and Recreation Department says you should boil or use commercially bottled water for drinking, food preparation and making ice. If you boil water, it should be heated to a rolling boil for at least five minutes before use.
The department says as a precautionary measure ice, food and any beverages prepared with unsafe water should be discarded.20750074
- Plans on hold for proposed cell towers in La Crosse
- Minnesota Gov. Dayton collapses during speech
- Gov. Walker proposes welfare changes
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- La Crosse's Satori Arts to be featured on 'American Pickers'
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups
- WinCraft gets to work making Super Bowl merchandise
- ‘School Choice Week' showcases local schools for parents
- Bill Feehan remains La Crosse Republican Party Chairman
- Wisconsin Republicans criticize Baldwin for fundraiser