LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A familiar business in downtown La Crosse is being recognized for its success within the community.
The People's Food Co-op was chosen to be featured in a Department of Housing and Urban Development video that showcases the journey of how far the business has come since getting a loan back in 2004.
Since then, the Co-op has been able to close a gap in its finances, increase employment, and expand to a second store.
"There were a lot of folks saying that downtown needed a grocery store, and we said, "well hey we're already here, how about we just do a bit better job of it. So we were able to deepen our product mix, so it allowed us to really kind of reach out and open our arms a little wider to the city of La Crosse," said General Manager Michelle Schry.
The video featuring the success story of the People's Food Co-op will be played in government offices to show examples of just how far a loan can go.
- Family to announce settlement in police shooting case
- Preschool teacher, 4-year-old recovering after ‘perfect kidney' transplant
- Winning numbers drawn in 'Powerball' game
- Holmen homicide suspect pleads guilty in 2015 murder
- Minnesota House set for floor vote on Real ID
- Iowa mayor wraps up address with bluesy salute to his city
- Dayton blasts Trump's transgender bathroom reversal
- Ohio, Wisconsin kick start interstate talks on Trump effect
- Discrimination lawsuit against Rochester schools dismissed
- Fresh snow possible for American Birkebeiner