LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A familiar business in downtown La Crosse is being recognized for its success within the community.
The People's Food Co-op was chosen to be featured in a Department of Housing and Urban Development video that showcases the journey of how far the business has come since getting a loan back in 2004.
Since then, the Co-op has been able to close a gap in its finances, increase employment, and expand to a second store.
"There were a lot of folks saying that downtown needed a grocery store, and we said, "well hey we're already here, how about we just do a bit better job of it. So we were able to deepen our product mix, so it allowed us to really kind of reach out and open our arms a little wider to the city of La Crosse," said General Manager Michelle Schry.
The video featuring the success story of the People's Food Co-op will be played in government offices to show examples of just how far a loan can go.
- Area veterans visit cemeteries, honor fallen heroes
- Riverside Memorial Day ceremony honors sea-based service members
- Service members honored at La Crosse's Memorial Day ceremony
- La Crosse celebrates Memorial Day with annual parade
- 4 killed, 5 injured in minivan-pickup crash in NW Wisconsin
- Two people rescued from Onalaska Spillway
- C-FC senior has second chance at state gold
- Bauer's Market has busy weekend
- Arcadia hosts annual Broiler Days Parade
- Wisconsin Democrats view Republican Gov. Walker as beatable