LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A 10,000 mile run is bringing peace to the La Crose area.
The journey is one of the longest torch relays in the world. The global run put on by a group of international volunteers is inspired by the spiritual teachings of religious leader Sri Chinmoy. The team carried the torch through La Crosse Friday. In an effort to promote healthy living, the team passed the torch kids at the La Crosse's Boys and Girls Club.
While many running events look to raise money, this run strives focuses its energy on something else.
"People generally want to live in peace on many levels, on a personal level, on a political level, on a community level. so we just try to bring that out and share that with the rest of the world," said Arpan DeAngelo, a member of the Sri Chinmoy Peace Run.
The run will also go through Canada and Mexico, before finally ending in New York sometime in August.
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Dayton names new Minnesota State Lottery director
- Walker hopes Trump's tough talk catches Canada's attention
- Walker: Not my job to remove Sheriff Clarke after jail death
- Minnesota woman gets probation for supporting al-Shabab