LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A 10,000 mile run is bringing peace to the La Crose area.
The journey is one of the longest torch relays in the world. The global run put on by a group of international volunteers is inspired by the spiritual teachings of religious leader Sri Chinmoy. The team carried the torch through La Crosse Friday. In an effort to promote healthy living, the team passed the torch kids at the La Crosse's Boys and Girls Club.
While many running events look to raise money, this run strives focuses its energy on something else.
"People generally want to live in peace on many levels, on a personal level, on a political level, on a community level. so we just try to bring that out and share that with the rest of the world," said Arpan DeAngelo, a member of the Sri Chinmoy Peace Run.
The run will also go through Canada and Mexico, before finally ending in New York sometime in August.
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- Annual Iverson Freking Awards handed out at luncheon
- Assembly speaker says his job is harder than governor's
- Alternative transportation forum looks to the future
- Highway 53 steering committee considering options for corridor development
- Toyota donates nearly $15,000 to La Crosse YWCA
- Buzz's Bikes building still looking for new owners