NEILSVILLE, Wis. (WKBT) - A Cochrane-Fountain City Boys' basketball fan caught on video the exciting game-winning shot in overtime to send the pirates to the La Crosse sectional finals.
"I started taking video segments of the game late in the 4th quarter, hoping to catch something exciting as the game got closer," Jason Becker, C-FC fan and assistant girls' basketball coach, told News 8.
Becker said C-FC took a large lead early in the Division 5 sectional semi-final, but in the second half, Hillsboro kept chipping away and at the end of regulation, the teams tied 45-45.
With seconds to go in overtime, C-FC freshman Mason Baecker got the ball in the corner, drove to the lane and flipped a shot over his shoulder. The Pirates won 57-56.
"Pandemonium started when the crowd went crazy!" Becker said. "It was a fun time, a special time for the students."
Cochrane-Fountain City will play Barneveld in the La Crosse sectional finals at La Crosse Logan on Saturday, March 8 at 1 p.m.
Becker said C-FC went to the sectional finals in 1987 and hopes the boys can pull off a win on Saturday.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks
- Farms' thirst for water roils Wisconsin's central sands