BAYFIELD, Wis. (AP) - An elderly dog depicted in a photo that gained widespread acclaim online has quietly turned 20.
The Duluth News Tribune reports the shepherd mix named Schoep spent a quiet birthday Saturday. He received more than 1,000 cards wishing him well.
Schoep and owner John Unger, of Bayfield, became Internet celebrities last summer because of Bayfield photographer Hannah Hudson's tender photograph of the pair in the soothing cool waters of Lake Superior. Hudson took it July 30 and posted it the next evening on Facebook. Within four days it had 1.8 million views.
Gifts and money poured in, enabling Unger to get the veterinary care needed for Schoep, who's arthritic, blind and hard of hearing.
Under says Schoep has good days and bad, but his condition has basically stayed the same.
- Trump's inauguration, weekend protests: What to know
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death
- Stolen passwords used to change some grades, university says
- Search resumes for girl missing in western Iowa river
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December