TOWN OF BELLE PLAINE, Wis. (AP) -- Shawano County deputies investigating a report of a foul odor emanating from a barn say they found 24 dead cattle inside.
A 50-year-old Shawano man has been arrested on tentative charges of animal neglect.
The sheriff's department says someone reported the foul odor on Friday. Other neighbors in the area confirmed smelling the same stench.
Authorities acquired a search warrant and searched the farm in the Town of Belle Plaine. They found two dozen dead cattle of varying ages.
Sheriff's Sgt. Scott Wedemayer says the man's case has been forwarded to the prosecutor's office, and Wedemayer predicts charges could come as soon as Monday.
The felony animal-neglect charge would carry a maximum penalty of 18 months in prison and a $10,000 fine.
- Copyright 2016 by WKBT News8000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- On Your Side - Guide to Buying Glasses Online
- VIDEO: Area couples prepare for wedding season
- VIDEO: De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- VIDEO: Local event helps connect military families
- VIDEO: Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Local event helps connect military families
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Minnesota GOP charts new course in response to protests