TOWN OF BELLE PLAINE, Wis. (AP) -- Shawano County deputies investigating a report of a foul odor emanating from a barn say they found 24 dead cattle inside.
A 50-year-old Shawano man has been arrested on tentative charges of animal neglect.
The sheriff's department says someone reported the foul odor on Friday. Other neighbors in the area confirmed smelling the same stench.
Authorities acquired a search warrant and searched the farm in the Town of Belle Plaine. They found two dozen dead cattle of varying ages.
Sheriff's Sgt. Scott Wedemayer says the man's case has been forwarded to the prosecutor's office, and Wedemayer predicts charges could come as soon as Monday.
The felony animal-neglect charge would carry a maximum penalty of 18 months in prison and a $10,000 fine.
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls