MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development Secretary Reggie Newson says the decision to release new jobs numbers early was his alone and not made in consultation with Republican Gov. Scott Walker.
Newson released the figures Wednesday, less than three weeks before Walker faces Democrat Tom Barrett in a June 5 recall vote. Walker appointed Newson to his post.
Newson says the pending recall had no effect on his unusual decision to release the data early.13423410
The new numbers show Wisconsin added 23,300 jobs last year instead of lost 33,900.
The numbers are preliminary and subject to revision by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The final count comes out June 28, three weeks after the recall.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death