MADISON, Wis. - High wind from a severe storm knocked down trees and power lines in Dane County a day after tornadoes caused extensive damage in the area.
Madison Gas and Electric had at one time about 8,118 customers without power and currently there are 3,833 without power. Alliant Energy reported 3,263 customers affected in Dane County at one time. There are currently 2,600 customers without power. Many of the outages in Madison are reported in the downtown and east side areas. Sun Prairie power utility said 3,500 customers are without power.
Dane County Emergency Management specialist Carrie Meier said the damage in Madison, Cottage Grove and Sun Prairie Wednesday morning is sporadic. The National Weather Service issued a tornado warning based on radar readings, but Meier said there was no tornado touchdown.
Tree and house damage was reported in Dane in northern Dane County. There were also reports of damage in Cottage Grove and the Sawmill Road area on Madison's west side.
Madison police said power outages knocked out many traffic lights, especially in the downtown area.
Officials in Sauk County said there were problems with the 911 system there. 911 calls were getting through sporadically. The system was restored by 9:45 a.m.
Flooding was reported in Baraboo and Loganville.
The Green County Sheriff's Office said State Highway 104 was closed because of downed power lines.
Wisconsin Emergency Management spokesman Tod Pritchard said his department has also gotten reports of downed trees and tree limbs in Dane County, but has no reports of a tornado touchdown.
The severe weather Wednesday follows storms that caused major damage to about 30 homes in Madison and another 30 in Verona. The weather service confirmed Tuesday that at least six tornadoes hit Wisconsin overnight Monday.Michelle Li video of Wednesday morning storm
- La Crosse Police urge boaters to be safe over weekend
- De Soto student in custody for school threat
- Monroe Co. man avoids prison for shooting mother
- Rail tank car helps first responders prepare in case of derailment
- Locomotive engine oil spill in Jackson county
- Tomah VA, Fort McCoy team up for Memorial Day 5K
- Iowa man accused of stealing from ailing dad gets probation
- Wisconsin woman jumps on hood of her SUV to prevent theft
- Parents of malnourished teen found dead plead not guilty
- The Latest: Teen plane crash survivor in serious condition