MADISON, Wis. - High wind from a severe storm knocked down trees and power lines in Dane County a day after tornadoes caused extensive damage in the area.
Madison Gas and Electric had at one time about 8,118 customers without power and currently there are 3,833 without power. Alliant Energy reported 3,263 customers affected in Dane County at one time. There are currently 2,600 customers without power. Many of the outages in Madison are reported in the downtown and east side areas. Sun Prairie power utility said 3,500 customers are without power.
Dane County Emergency Management specialist Carrie Meier said the damage in Madison, Cottage Grove and Sun Prairie Wednesday morning is sporadic. The National Weather Service issued a tornado warning based on radar readings, but Meier said there was no tornado touchdown.
Tree and house damage was reported in Dane in northern Dane County. There were also reports of damage in Cottage Grove and the Sawmill Road area on Madison's west side.
Madison police said power outages knocked out many traffic lights, especially in the downtown area.
Officials in Sauk County said there were problems with the 911 system there. 911 calls were getting through sporadically. The system was restored by 9:45 a.m.
Flooding was reported in Baraboo and Loganville.
The Green County Sheriff's Office said State Highway 104 was closed because of downed power lines.
Wisconsin Emergency Management spokesman Tod Pritchard said his department has also gotten reports of downed trees and tree limbs in Dane County, but has no reports of a tornado touchdown.
The severe weather Wednesday follows storms that caused major damage to about 30 homes in Madison and another 30 in Verona. The weather service confirmed Tuesday that at least six tornadoes hit Wisconsin overnight Monday.Michelle Li video of Wednesday morning storm
- Viterbo celebrates one year of 'Service Saturdays'
- New safety measures on the way to Norplex Drive after recent creek death
- Rep. Walz mulling Democratic bid for Minnesota governor
- Gundersen program helps mothers, parents with drug addictions
- Wisconsin attorney general appeals redistricting ruling
- News 8 Highlight Zone - February 25, 2017
- Area church making capes for kids in pediatric ward
- VITA program helping people file their taxes
- La Crosse Children's Museum celebrates 18 years
- Lawmakers push bill to address dropped rural cellphone calls