LA CROSSE, Wis. -- The new University Of Wisconsin System Regents President is from La Crosse.
Brent Smith was elected late Friday afternoon to serve the next year in charge of the 18 member board. He will oversee the board as they set tuition and other policies for 180,000 attending UW schools.14783602
One of the biggest challenges Smith faces is doing more with less. For the past five years, tuition has risen by the maximum 5.5%.
Smith says he hopes it doesn't become the standard. "The increases we've seen compared to other places in the country are not that bad, in fact we're lower than many other places, but 5.5 isn't something we should be proud of, or something we walk around and say "gee isn't that great," we ought to strive for it and I think we'll get there that any tuition increase, if any, is a lot lower than 5.5," said Smith.
Smith has been on the board since 2004 and served as vice president last year.
- Trump, Walker discuss Wisconsin dairy dispute
- Why more people may be driving hybrid vehicles
- Wisconsin at high risk of wildfires after sunny, dry weather
- Wisconsin Legislature set to give wells bill final OK
- Prosecutor: No water for week led to jail dehydration death
- Student stabbed at Kenosha high school
- Bridge project in southeast Minnesota on schedule, budget
- House Republicans pass abortion bills
- Minnesota couple accused of sexually assaulting teenage girl
- Report: Saints, running back Peterson agree on contract