SHEBOYGAN, Wis. (AP) -- The man who won a recall election for mayor of Sheboygan will be sworn in Monday night.
Terry Van Akkeren will serve the remainder of Bob Ryan's term, which ends in April of next year. Some officials who worked with Ryan during his nearly 3 years as mayor say he has done some good things for the city, including attracting new business and industry to the community. Sheboygan County Board chairman Mike Vandersteen says Ryan's accomplishments were unfortunately overshadowed by the negative attention of his public battle with alcoholism.
The Sheboygan Press reports Ryan said after the recall election results were announced that he would not run for mayor of Sheboygan again.
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- Annual Iverson Freking Awards handed out at luncheon
- Assembly speaker says his job is harder than governor's
- Alternative transportation forum looks to the future
- Highway 53 steering committee considering options for corridor development
- Toyota donates nearly $15,000 to La Crosse YWCA
- Buzz's Bikes building still looking for new owners