MONROE COUNTY, WI - A 24-year-old man from Sawyer County died in a crash just before midnight on State Highway 27 about one tenth of a mile south of Cataract.
The Monroe County Sheriff's Office says 24-year-old James Denomie of Hayward, WI was driving northbound on highway 27 when he crossed the center line and struck a southbound vehicle driven by John Halbrehder, 68, of rural Sparta. The car spun around, rolled over in a ditch on the west side of the highway.
The striking vehicle continued north, entered a ditch on the west side of the highway, crossed a private driveway and went down an embankment.
Halbrehder and his passenger Carolyn Diekmann received non-life-threatening injuries and were transported to Mayo Clinic Health Care in Sparta.
Denomie was pronounced dead at the scene. Authorities believe he was the only one in that vehicle.22124662
- US Rep. Pocan says he won't attend Trump inauguration
- Monday closings due to weather
- Local activists hold "Save Our Healthcare" rally
- Tomah police asking for help following morning high-speed chase
- Local bar burglarized
- More than a dozen cell towers may go up in La Crosse
- Potential suicide spike in La Crosse County
- UPDATE: Suspect charged in Trempealeau County fatal crash
- Area youth group helps prepare for fundraiser
- Annual bridal expo prepares for wedding season