MONROE COUNTY, WI - A 24-year-old man from Sawyer County died in a crash just before midnight on State Highway 27 about one tenth of a mile south of Cataract.
The Monroe County Sheriff's Office says 24-year-old James Denomie of Hayward, WI was driving northbound on highway 27 when he crossed the center line and struck a southbound vehicle driven by John Halbrehder, 68, of rural Sparta. The car spun around, rolled over in a ditch on the west side of the highway.
The striking vehicle continued north, entered a ditch on the west side of the highway, crossed a private driveway and went down an embankment.
Halbrehder and his passenger Carolyn Diekmann received non-life-threatening injuries and were transported to Mayo Clinic Health Care in Sparta.
Denomie was pronounced dead at the scene. Authorities believe he was the only one in that vehicle.22124662
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls