LA CROSSE, WI - The famous "grandma drummer" shown jamming out on the drums at the Coalition Drum Shop in La Crosse has been identified as an Onalaska woman.
Mary Hvizda tells News 8 she has played in several bands since she was 16. We'll talk with Mary on Saturday about her musical talent and what she thinks about how many people are talking about her recent drum solo.
As of 9 p.m. on Friday, the viral video of Mary jamming out on the drums has been watched by more than 232,000 people on YouTube.
An older woman came into the Coalition Drum Shop on State Street in La Crosse last weekend, sat down and started jamming out on the drums for about 10-15 minutes and then left the store.
Her name is Mary, but she's more affectionately known as the "grandma drummer" who blows the Coalition's staff away every time she comes in.
"We wonder, 'What's she gonna play this time? She's always got something new up her sleeve," said Dustin Hackworth, manager of the Coalition Drum Shop.
On Friday, July 12, she came into the store and played "Wipe Out" by Surfer Joe and continued playing for about 10-15 minutes. Hackworth says the "grandma drummer" draws a crowd every time.
Hackworth says she comes to the store about every two months since it opened about a year and a half ago.
"Every time she comes in, we think, 'Man, we should video tape this' and we finally did," Hackworth said.
And then they posted it on YouTube Thursday night, showing off this woman's talents to the world. Hackworth said when he went to bed Thursday night, the video had about 250 views. By Friday afternoon, it had more than 72, 000.
Do you know who she is? If so, call our newsroom at (608) 784-7897.21078030
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- Annual Iverson Freking Awards handed out at luncheon
- Assembly speaker says his job is harder than governor's
- Alternative transportation forum looks to the future
- Highway 53 steering committee considering options for corridor development
- Toyota donates nearly $15,000 to La Crosse YWCA
- Buzz's Bikes building still looking for new owners