MOUNT PLEASANT, Wis. (AP) - Police say a person who was discovered dead after a house fire in Mount Pleasant was intentionally killed.
The Journal Times reports police believe the fire discovered early Tuesday was set by someone who knew the victim.
Mount Pleasant Police Chief Tim Zarzecki says investigators believe the body belonged to a young woman, but are waiting for confirmation from the Racine County medical examiner's office.
He says investigators are also trying to determine whether she was killed as a result of the fire or died before the fire.
Zarzecki says the victim was staying at the residence temporarily but not living there. Neighbors told authorities the people who had been occupying the residence moved to Texas.
- Wisconsin plan seeks to cut achievement gap in half
- Congress OKs bill averting Saturday gov't shutdown
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Police: Man pepper-sprayed autistic man eating free cookies
- Area couple awaits man's heart, liver transplant
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Company says it has no plans for a new Wisconsin pipeline
- Fatal shooting investigated in Bloomington