MOUNT PLEASANT, Wis. (AP) - Police say a person who was discovered dead after a house fire in Mount Pleasant was intentionally killed.
The Journal Times reports police believe the fire discovered early Tuesday was set by someone who knew the victim.
Mount Pleasant Police Chief Tim Zarzecki says investigators believe the body belonged to a young woman, but are waiting for confirmation from the Racine County medical examiner's office.
He says investigators are also trying to determine whether she was killed as a result of the fire or died before the fire.
Zarzecki says the victim was staying at the residence temporarily but not living there. Neighbors told authorities the people who had been occupying the residence moved to Texas.
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota