LA CROSSE, Wis. - The La Crosse area community donated more than $32,000 to the American Red Cross disaster relief efforts during a 12-hour fund drive.
The drive, which was held outside of the La Crosse Center, benefits the victims and families of the Oklahoma tornado disaster.
"Watching it and seeing it, and seeing what other families are going through, it's just devastating," said Nicole Wiczek, a volunteer. "I know if something would happen to our home, I hope someone would help us."20283650
An EF-5 tornado with winds of up to 200 mph struck Moore, Oklahoma, on Monday, killing at least 24 people and injuring more than 100.
"(The money is used) for setting up shelters, helping and feeding people, getting bulk supplies out to people, clean up kits," said Laurie Deflorian, a volunteer.
The local fund drive went from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday.
"You've gotta help everyone," said Wanda Davis, a volunteer. "That's what life is about."
"There's people out there that need help and I'm able to give it to them," said Deflorian.
If you couldn't make it to the drive, you can donate in the following ways:
CALL: 1-800-RED CROSS
TEXT: REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 to American Red Cross Disaster Relief (You can find more information on the text service at redcross.org.)
STOP BY or SEND A CHECK to the Scenic Bluffs Chapter of the American Red Cross, 2927 Losey Blvd. S., La Crosse; Hours: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday (Closed Memorial Day)
*If you're writing a check, the Red Cross asks that you put "disaster relief" in the memo line.
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse celebrates Arbor Day with a tree planting
- M.S. Walk raising money for medical research
- News 8 Sports Round Up-April 28, 2017
- Community leaders observe Workers Memorial Day
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Kenosha teen stabbed at school dies