CRAWFORD COUNTY, Wis. (WKBT) - The names of the individuals involved in a murder-suicide in the rural Clayton Township on Tuesday have been identified.
Robert J. Reagan, 70, shot and killed his wife Karen M. Reagan, 68, with a single gunshot wound to the head, Crawford County Sheriff Dale McCullick said.
It appears Karen may have been sleeping when she was killed, but investigators say they will never know for sure if she was asleep or awake.
At some point after killing his wife, Robert walked out to his driveway and shot and killed himself with a single gunshot to the head with a .357 caliber revolver, Sheriff McCullick said. Investigators are waiting for ballistics testing, but it appears to be the same gun Robert used to kill his wife.
The couple recently celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. Friends and family told authorities the couple had a loving and good relationship.
Investigators are looking into the possibility that Karen had recently received some troubling news regarding her health and that's why the tragic event happened, Sheriff McCullick said. Friends of the couple told authorities that he couldn't live if anything ever happened to Karen.
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- CSAs connecting fresh produce to consumers
- La Crosse 12-year-old to clean up skate park with community help
- Thousands honored in La Crosse for volunteering
- Mom who made kids sleep in feces-covered room gets probation