CRAWFORD COUNTY, Wis. (WKBT) - The names of the individuals involved in a murder-suicide in the rural Clayton Township on Tuesday have been identified.
Robert J. Reagan, 70, shot and killed his wife Karen M. Reagan, 68, with a single gunshot wound to the head, Crawford County Sheriff Dale McCullick said.
It appears Karen may have been sleeping when she was killed, but investigators say they will never know for sure if she was asleep or awake.
At some point after killing his wife, Robert walked out to his driveway and shot and killed himself with a single gunshot to the head with a .357 caliber revolver, Sheriff McCullick said. Investigators are waiting for ballistics testing, but it appears to be the same gun Robert used to kill his wife.
The couple recently celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. Friends and family told authorities the couple had a loving and good relationship.
Investigators are looking into the possibility that Karen had recently received some troubling news regarding her health and that's why the tragic event happened, Sheriff McCullick said. Friends of the couple told authorities that he couldn't live if anything ever happened to Karen.
- The Latest: Walker proposes new welfare work requirements
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- State agency highlights climate change, 2 others ignore
- Local event helps connect military families
- Dayton's State of the State will set stage for 2017 session
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos
- La Crosse County proposing tourism tax
- You participated in the Women's March. Now what?