SPARTA, Wis. (WKBT) - Monroe County residents are getting to know their candidates for Sheriff a little better, just in time for the August primary.
Sparta's American Legion held a candidate forum earlier tonight. Both candidates, Monroe County Deputy Scott Perkins and former Tomah Police Chief Wes Revels answered questions from a moderate. They were able to get their message out to residents on a number of different topics.
Both candidates have worked in law enforcement and want to use their experience to look out for the best interests of the county.
"I think it's a great opportunity to progress in my profession from police chief to sheriff, but for me it comes with a foundation of service to people," said candidate Wes Revels.
Candidate Scott Perkins hopes voters can see what electing him would mean for the community.
"I'm doing this to help the citizens of Monroe County. The citizens would be poised to benefit. They're the ones that would benefit from me becoming sheriff," said Perkins.
Because there are only two candidates and they're both from the same political party, whichever candidate wins the August 12 primary will be the new Sheriff.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- Ninth annual Earth Fair attracts local families
- Coulee Council on Addictions announces plans for new building
- La Crosse brush pick-up starts this week
- Course teaches Somali culture in central Minnesota