SPARTA, Wis. (WKBT) - Monroe County residents are getting to know their candidates for Sheriff a little better, just in time for the August primary.
Sparta's American Legion held a candidate forum earlier tonight. Both candidates, Monroe County Deputy Scott Perkins and former Tomah Police Chief Wes Revels answered questions from a moderate. They were able to get their message out to residents on a number of different topics.
Both candidates have worked in law enforcement and want to use their experience to look out for the best interests of the county.
"I think it's a great opportunity to progress in my profession from police chief to sheriff, but for me it comes with a foundation of service to people," said candidate Wes Revels.
Candidate Scott Perkins hopes voters can see what electing him would mean for the community.
"I'm doing this to help the citizens of Monroe County. The citizens would be poised to benefit. They're the ones that would benefit from me becoming sheriff," said Perkins.
Because there are only two candidates and they're both from the same political party, whichever candidate wins the August 12 primary will be the new Sheriff.
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing