MILWAUKEE (AP) - A 19-year-old Milwaukee man is charged in a shooting at a basketball court that left one man dead and four other people wounded.
Jovan Dart Newman was charged Tuesday with first-degree reckless homicide and a misdemeanor count of bail jumping in the Sept. 29 death of Alexander Cross.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports Newman is accused of opening fire with a semiautomatic handgun on a group of men who were playing basketball. Also injured were three other players and a woman who was watching the game.
According to the complaint, Newman began shooting after a fight broke out involving some of the victims and a group of men who had had a dispute with Cross' family a week earlier.
Online court records do not list a defense attorney.
- Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton says he will finish his term despite being diagnosed with prostate cancer
- A woman was arrested in Black Hills after abducting her kids
- Wisconsin manufacturing tax credit continues to grow
- Plans on hold for proposed cell towers in La Crosse
- Community Closings & Delays due to approaching storm
- Trial set for mom whose toddler was found wandering outside
- Wisconsin Democrats: County websites were hacked
- Bipartisan proposal would eliminate publishing minutes
- House committee approves bill that would charge protesters
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups