MILWAUKEE (AP) - One brewer at this weekend's 4th annual Brewfest in Milwaukee stands out for its greenness.
Jim McCabe uses 28 rooftop solar panels in the brewing process at his Milwaukee Brewing Company. A sign outside his place in the city's Third Ward says "Milwaukee's 1st Solar Brewery."
The solar panels help heat the water to just the right temperature for brewing. Owner Jim McCabe and his master brewer combine the warm water with barley to break down the starches to sugar.
And, it doesn't stop with solar power. WUWM radio reports McCabe says a local steel company repurposes his empty malt stacks and the urban farm organization Growing Power uses the brewer's mounds of spent grain for compost.
- Wisconsin at high risk of wildfires after sunny, dry weather
- Trump, Walker discuss Wisconsin dairy dispute
- Prosecutor: No water for week led to jail dehydration death
- Student stabbed at Kenosha high school
- Bridge project in southeast Minnesota on schedule, budget
- House Republicans pass abortion bills
- Minnesota couple accused of sexually assaulting teenage girl
- Report: Saints, running back Peterson agree on contract
- Federal officials charge 15 with eagle trafficking
- No injuries at early morning house fire in Onalaska