MILWAUKEE (AP) - One brewer at this weekend's 4th annual Brewfest in Milwaukee stands out for its greenness.
Jim McCabe uses 28 rooftop solar panels in the brewing process at his Milwaukee Brewing Company. A sign outside his place in the city's Third Ward says "Milwaukee's 1st Solar Brewery."
The solar panels help heat the water to just the right temperature for brewing. Owner Jim McCabe and his master brewer combine the warm water with barley to break down the starches to sugar.
And, it doesn't stop with solar power. WUWM radio reports McCabe says a local steel company repurposes his empty malt stacks and the urban farm organization Growing Power uses the brewer's mounds of spent grain for compost.
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- Annual Iverson Freking Awards handed out at luncheon
- Assembly speaker says his job is harder than governor's
- Buzz's Bikes building still looking for new owners
- Representative Kind outlines goals for congressional session
- Debate over medical marijuana continues in Wisconsin
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion Hunt Clues 2017
- Peaches and cheese: Governors place bet on Falcons-Packers