SPARTA, WI - The Sparta Police Department arrested a Wisconsin Dells man on suspicion of driving while intoxicated after they say he drove more than 10 miles on Interstate 90 in the wrong direction.
Officers pulled 28 year old Matthew Guhrs over at around 12:30 Tuesday morning near Sparta, after they say he drove eastbound for more than 10 miles in the westbound lanes of the Interstate, while passing oncoming traffic.
Guhrs told police he was driving to Illinois and wasn't aware he had gone more than 10 miles on the wrong side of the Interstate.
Police say Guhrs showed signs of impairment, and failed field sobriety tests. Besides being arrested on suspicion of OWI, he was also cited for reckless driving, operating a motor vehicle without insurance, and driving the wrong way on a divided highway.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death