JANESVILLE, Wis. - A 58-year-old Clinton man was arrested on suspicion of attempted first-degree homicide after authorities said he disarmed the Clinton cop and attempted to shoot the officer at point-blank range with the officer's duty weapon.
The Rock County Sheriff's Department said on Thursday at 6 p.m., the Rock County Communications Center received an abandoned 911 call at 703 Carol St., Apartment K, in Clinton, Wis.
Police said the sole Clinton Police Department officer was dispatched to follow up.
Cmdr.Troy Knudson with the Rock County Sheriff's Office said shortly after the Clinton officer arrived on scene, the officer reported that Terry P. Robinson, the resident at the apartment, attacked him.
The Clinton police officer was unable to quickly control the suspect and called for help, the report said.
Knudson said an "extensive" and "violent" struggle ensued, during which Robinson disarmed the officer. The sheriff's department said Robinson attempted to fire the weapon at point blank range at the officer.
The officer was able to disable the firearm before a round was discharged, the report said. Shortly thereafter, an off-duty Beloit police officer who was nearby at the time of the call arrived on scene, followed by deputies from the Rock County Sheriff's Office and on-duty officers from Beloit, Knudson said. The sheriff's department said Robinson continued to struggle but was taken into custody.
Neither the officer or suspect received serious injuries, however, Robinson was taken to the Beloit Memorial Hospital for evaluation, the report said.
Knudson said detectives from the Rock County Sheriff's Office are investigating the incident.
Robinson was arrested for attempted first-degree intentional homicide, battery to a police officer and disarming an officer.
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged Dec. 22 shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death
- Stolen passwords used to change some grades, university says
- Search resumes for girl missing in western Iowa river