LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The Grant County man charged with stealing a car with a man in the trunk and leading La Crosse police on a high speed chase stands mute in court Wednesday afternoon.
A La Crosse County judge entered not guilty pleas on 25-year-old Timmy Johnson Jr.'s behalf.
The police report stated Johnson crashed the stolen car just south of Holmen. In the trunk, police found the body of 79-year-old Merle Forbes.
A preliminary autopsy shows assault to be the cause of death.
Johnson's defense says a plea deal is in the works. He has not been charged with a homicide.
Johnson's next court appearance is September 4.
- Area veterans visit cemeteries, honor fallen heroes
- Riverside Memorial Day ceremony honors sea-based service members
- Service members honored at La Crosse's Memorial Day ceremony
- La Crosse celebrates Memorial Day with annual parade
- 4 killed, 5 injured in minivan-pickup crash in NW Wisconsin
- Two people rescued from Onalaska Spillway
- C-FC senior has second chance at state gold
- Bauer's Market has busy weekend
- Arcadia hosts annual Broiler Days Parade
- Wisconsin Democrats view Republican Gov. Walker as beatable