LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The Grant County man charged with stealing a car with a man in the trunk and leading La Crosse police on a high speed chase stands mute in court Wednesday afternoon.
A La Crosse County judge entered not guilty pleas on 25-year-old Timmy Johnson Jr.'s behalf.
The police report stated Johnson crashed the stolen car just south of Holmen. In the trunk, police found the body of 79-year-old Merle Forbes.
A preliminary autopsy shows assault to be the cause of death.
Johnson's defense says a plea deal is in the works. He has not been charged with a homicide.
Johnson's next court appearance is September 4.
- Family to announce settlement in police shooting case
- Warm weather a worry for apple growers
- Rochester might oust 200 students over vaccine requirements
- Ohio, Wisconsin kick start interstate talks on Trump effect
- Preschool teacher, 4-year-old recovering after ‘perfect kidney' transplant
- Trespass charges for man living in hospital closet
- Winning numbers drawn in 'Powerball' game
- Holmen homicide suspect pleads guilty in 2015 murder
- Minnesota House set for floor vote on Real ID
- Iowa mayor wraps up address with bluesy salute to his city